Thursday, January 2, 2014

What to Expect from Just and Sinner in 2014

2013 has been a great year. We launched the new website and the publishing house. This was also the first full year of podcasting. Many of you have helped us immensely with your prayers, encouragement and financial support. Thank you for all of your help!

2014 is going to be an even greater year. We have many new ventures lined up, and here are some of the things that you can expect:

More books in the American Lutheran Classics series. Some books you can look forward to are Francis Pieper's Conversion and Election, and Henry Eyster Jacobs' excellent Systematic Theology text A Summary of the Christian Faith (in two volumes) and David Henkel's Response to Joseph Moore the Methodist which is a defense of the historic Lutheran view of Baptism.

A new book series by Just and Sinner Publications, which is a reprinting of The Lutheran Commentary Seriesedited by Henry Eyster Jacobs. These volumes cover the entirety of the New Testament and represent a Confessional Lutheran approach to Holy Scripture. 

Two more books that I am writing will be released this year Christification: A Lutheran Approach to Theosis, and The Great Divide: A Lutheran Evaluation of Reformed Theology

Our publishing house will be putting out the first of our original books which is a study on the book of Genesis, written for congregational use. This will be the first of a series of books for Bible Study. 

I will be writing two original books: one on the doctrine of sanctification, and another in response to the recently published book on limited atonement From Heaven He Came and Sought Her. The first is in the works, and one or both of these books will be finished by the end of the year.

More programs on a variety of theological topics and a number of great guests will be featured. 

The publication of a new theological journal titled The American Lutheran Theological Journal, which I will be working on with a number of other Lutheran pastors and theologians.

I also plan to expand the work of Just & Sinner into the area of video production. The ideas are still in the works at this point but expect videos to either be featured online or for sale on DVD.

At least one debate with someone from a differing theological perspective.

We are excited about all that is coming up this year, but we can't do it without your help! Please consider becoming a regular contributor, and help us get the resources out into the world. 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

When do you think these books will be available? A Lutheran Approach to Theosis, and The Great Divide: A Lutheran Evaluation of Reformed Theology.

My experience has shown that a piety driven, moralistic, Christ-less preaching is what reformed theology is about today.
Dan McGinn



Unknown said...

I don't have release dates yet. That is up to the publisher, but I will announce that when I get more information. The Reformed world is very broad, especially when it comes to preaching. You might think that about some Reformed preaching, but in other cases Reformed preachers are extremely Christ-centered.

David Gray said...

My experience has shown that a piety driven, moralistic, Christ-less preaching is what reformed theology is about today.

My experience is you must have had a very unusual and bad experience. I wish every LCMS pastor was as Christ centered in his preaching as my first Presbyterian pastor was.

J. Dean said...

Agree with Jordan and David on this one, D McGinn. Yes, there are movements in the Reformed camp that are deviating from strong, orthodox theology (Check out Jordan's review of Jones' "Antinomianism" book, which is part of a movement in Reformed Theology that is flirting with works-righteousness. Same with people like David Platt and Francis Chan and the "missional" movement as well). But there are also great preachers like Tullian Tchividjian, who comes across as a "Lutheran in Calvinist's clothing" with regard to his clear distinction of Law and Gospel.

Unknown said...

Let me clarify my comments. I should have been a bit more responsible in my comments - sorry. My experience was with a very small Reformed church and my comments are in line. Heavy on the Christian and lite on Christ. Of course, this doesn't apply to the entire reformed church as the one I am with now is very Christ centered. My apologies for painting with such a wide brush! Yet, there is a lot of real damage being done today by legal preachers and it is serious because the Gospel is being covered up by personal piety, etc - you know, the Christian performance treadmill. That's why the title "The Great Divide: A Lutheran Evaluation of Reformed Theology" will be an interesting book to read.

Unknown said...

The broad differences in the Reformed camp make writing a book on the subject rather difficult, because I can't possibly deal with every Reformed perspective on each topic. And, of course, a whole book could be written on each chapter.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has been a member or regular attendee of Reformed churches spanning four different Reformed denominations for well over a decade, I'll be very interested in your book "The Great Divide."

Sad to say, my experiences have been nothing short of horrible - literally ground me down to powder - spiritually, physically and emotionally. A constant diet of Law. Words simply cannot do it justice.

Cliff's notes version:

I became deeply convinced that Reformed theology, including in its historic formulations and creeds, fails to properly distinguish between Law and Gospel. Because on that, numerous legal schemes of various flavors are very common among the Reformed.

I feel as if I've come out of a haze in the Twilight Zone. As someone who has spent quite a bit of time traveling, I've been able to visit a great many Reformed churches from the various Reformed denominations and make friends - in various geographical locales and the story is always some variation on a legal theme.

If you ever try to find a wife among the Reformed, this becomes all the more apparent. I ran into "Quivering Daughters" numerous times, as did single Reformed friends of mine.

My Reformed buddies in various locales all have crazy church stories, too. It's just off the charts. Always tied into legalism...

I really think it comes down to theology. I don't think any of us have realized just how strong an influence one's brand of theology is on their outlook and life in general.

And history bears it out... executing people under church/state arrangements, religious wars, genocide... etc.

None of that is of Christ who said that His kingdom is NOT of this world. When what is a spiritual kingdom is turned into a literal kingdom right here and now - there comes a perceived need for theocratic rule AND the spiritualizing of the sacraments to climb UP to God and bring their legal kingdom up with them.

Sad sad sad... It is a miracle of the grace of God I was delivered from this. I'm still recovering...

Unknown said...

Thank you for youe vision of making Lutheran resources -- especially commentaries -- more accessible! I just came to thia blog recently and I'm addicted. Just wow.

Unknown said...

I do wonder if you can give an estimate as to when these commentaries will be available?